Friday, September 12, 2008

The best things about DC!

Diversity One of the reasons I fell in love with DC is its diversity. I grew up in a small community in the country where minorities were almost non existant. The only way I was exposed to any diversity was through books and movies. When I came to DC I was amazed at the diversity. I met people from all different races, backgrounds, and cultures of life. It was exhilarating to experience first hand how diverse our country really is. I became very attracted to the Arab culture after taking Arabic as my foregin language credit freshman year. In the end, I switched from my original major of criminal justice to something much more intereting and diverse- Islamic Studies. I love DC because I am exposed to people of different cultures on a daily basis. I've learned so much about this world, just by the amazing people that I have met while living in DC.

Halloween- Ok, so this may not seem serious but it is! One of my favorite holidays is Halloween,closely followed by St. Patricks Day! I never went trick or treating when I was younger- my parents were conservative in that aspect. After being exposed to Halloween in DC I realized that trick or treating was a thing of the past. If Halloween happens to fall on Thursday or Friday, the celebration continues all week long. People celebrate Halloween for about 3 weeks (I kid you not!). The weekend before Halloween one will find pre-celebratory get togethers. The weekend after one will find post-celebratory get togethers. The week/weekend of Halloween one will see masses of individuals in costumes roaming the streets obliterated. If you are ever in DC during Halloween it is a must that you take a stroll (in full Halloween costume!) through the streets of Georgetown and Adams Morgan. You'll regret it if you don't!

p.s.- It's the one day of the year when girls can dress like whores and not be judged! Even though Halloween in DC is usually very chilly or even freezing cold all the girls will be dressed in the least conservative way possible. Hell, I'm sure snow wouldn't even stop them. I know it wouldn't stop me!



March Madness
- I was never really a big sports fan until I came to DC. Maybe it was the thrill of cheering on my univeristy team, but I was immediately allured to the fun that is March Madness. My first two years in college, GWU achieved relative local fame from their success during the season and NCAA. I loved cheering on my team during the championship games! Unfortunately for my remaining two years in school our team didn't do as well as the previous two years. I learned to appreciate the NCAA tournament regardless of whether my team was in it or not. One of my favorite things about March Madness is creating pools amongst friends and coworkers. (I actually did very well this year-I chose the final four correctly!) And of course another delight of March Madness that I welcome with open arms is the opportunity to drink countless beer for a few weeks. There is no feeling quite like that of rooting for a team during a March Madness game. You create a bond with the ones you are watching it with (I like watching the games in a bar- there are usually specials on drinks and you meet a lot of really awesome, hyped up people). Try watching a few games next March- go to a fun pub or sports bar!



Politics
- Everyone who is anyone in national politics gets started or eventually ends up in the DC area. Many individuals flock to DC universities such as Georgetown and George Washington to study politics. It is a well known fact that if you ask a student in DC what his or her major is it will more than likely be political science or international affairs. Don't believe? Walk through campus and ask a random student. Told ya! That being said, with so many eager, doe eyed youngsters with the itch for politics it is common place to be involved in a political debate on a frequent basis. For some reason these people love to debate politics, of all places at the bar. Copious amounts of alcohol and a politically heated debate makes for quite an interesting night! If you're lucky enough to be in DC during election year you are in for a treat! I can still vividly remember day of November 4th, 2004. We crowded 20 or so students into one dorm room and watched as the election results were tallied. As the night wore on many of us began nursing our beers and mixed drinks and began bitching about the Republicans remaining in the White House. Washington DC is very liberal and almost everyone you meet is a Democrat (with the exception of most military people). Finding a Republican in DC is like Christmas. Democrats will eat 'em alive!

Military- One of my personal favorite things about living in DC is the number of military bases in the area. With the Marine barracks at 8th and I, Army at Ft. Myer, Air Force at Bolling, and Navy at Annapolis there is an endless supply of drunken soldiers roaming through the streets of DC. Over the years I've made some great friends in the military. They sure know how to party! If you want to party with some soldiers they are quite easy to find in Dc. Hawk n' Dove is a favorite of many, as is Bailey's in VA. Happy partying!

No comments: